follow me on Twitter
Living Large in Cyberspace: PVE vs PVP

Friday, January 27, 2006

PVE vs PVP

PvE: Player versus environment is used to describe the type of gameplay where people compete against the computer or computer-run opponents/creatures. This often involves groups of players cooperatively engaging goals and hostile "monsters" programmed into many online worlds. PvE is the opposite of PvP.

PvP: Player versus player, or PvP, is a type of combat in MMORPGs, MUDs and other computer role playing games pitting a player's skill against another's, where the goal can include the death of the the opponents player character. Historically that has been a focal point, and now, as the gaming worlds get more involved, and more complex, it can involve competing for resources, political and economic power and more. While this can include player killing or PKing, this term is usually used in a narrower sense. It is the antithesis of combating computer generated and operated creatures/opponents which is the focus of a PvE environment.

I have noticed that when I am playing in a PvE world my reactions are very different from when I play in a PvP world. PCs (player characters) are much more unpredictable and use their available tools with much greater effectiveness. As a result, and combined with my knowledge that there is a person on the other side of the character, I have found that I have very visceral reactions, so far so that I have very physical responses. It is similar to what I remember from playing paintball, and I imagine it is similar to what my "flight or fight" reaction would be in meatspace when faced with an actual confrontation.

L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home